BioAge is a well-funded, rapidly-growing clinical-stage biotechnology company that develops drugs to treat aging-related -diseases. Aging is the fundamental driver of many highly morbid, chronic diseases that reduce both the quantity and quality of life. We believe that intervening directly in the aging process will be the most impactful way to decrease the burden of disease and increase healthspan in an aging population.
BioAge has built a systems biology platform to map out the key molecular pathways that impact healthy human aging, based on proprietary human aging cohorts that have blood samples collected up to 45 years ago with participant -omics data that is tied to detailed medical follow-up records over their lifespan. In the last few months, BioAge in-licensed our first two Phase 2-ready platform assets, BGE-117 , a potent inhibitor of HIF PH which we are developing for muscle-related indications, and BGE-175 , a PGD2 DP1 receptor inhibitor which we are developing for disorders of the aging immune system. For both programs we’ll be initiating Phase 2 efficacy trials by Q1 2021. Our mission is to develop a pipeline of therapeutic assets that increase healthspan and lifespan.
BioAge’s backers include Andreessen Horowitz, Khosla Ventures, and other top VC firms at the interface of biotech and data science. The company’s headquarters and lab facilities are located in Richmond, CA and we have employees working on-site or remotely across the US.
About the position
We are seeking an accomplished, energetic, and detail-oriented Controller to be responsible for the accounting activities of the company. This is a new position at BioAge, and a key role to support expansion of the company’s operations. Reporting directly to the Chief Business Officer, the Controller will be responsible for overseeing accounting activities, tax compliance, and internal controls, and will help build the Company’s financial processes, internal controls, reporting, and systems as we prepare for future financings. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a rapidly growing company developing a pipeline of therapies with the potential to enhance healthspan and lifespan in an aging population.
- Responsible for accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes and the preparation of internal and external financial statements in accordance with GAAP
- Oversee the accounting operations, including supervision of contract accounting staff
- Lead the company’s activities with external auditors and manage internal controls
- Manage technical accounting, including staying current with the latest GAAP pronouncements, writing of memos, and implementing new FASB Statements
- Develop and drive the adoption of common processes and systems across the company
- Optimize the procure-to-pay and accrual procedures
- Manage the submission of income, property, franchise, and other tax returns
- Develop and maintain internal controls appropriate for GAAP financial reporting and potential SEC reporting and SOX compliance and control testing
- Provide technical accounting support for complex transactions including preparation of S-1 filing if we start a process to become a public company
- As we grow, internalize functions by hiring and developing a team to meet increasing needs and requirements
- Support the CEO, COO and CBO, to manage the cash flow and ensure that BioAge maintains access to the appropriate level of funding to support the Company’s business strategies
- BA/BS degree and CPA or equivalent required; MBA preferred
- Big Four accounting experience preferred
- 10+ years of biotech industry experience is strongly preferred
- Direct clinical trials experience including outside the US strongly preferred (including trials in Europe, South America and Australia)
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP, SEC rules and regulations and reporting requirements, and SOX regulations
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills; ability to interface and communicate effectively with executive management and other functions within the organization
- Proven working experience as a Controller, an Assistant Controller or Director of Accounting in a biotech
- Experience managing relationships with external auditors
- Both public company and startup experience a plus
- A proven track record of process improvement and experience with financial systems and process change initiatives
- Excellent judgment and critical-thinking skills
- Comfortable with working independently in a small, growing company, able to work with all functions in the organization, able to work remotely
- Experience building an accounting team
- Fluent in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
BioAge offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off in addition to Company-observed holidays. The Company provides medical, dental, and vision insurance, along with a 401(k) retirement savings plan which includes matching employer contributions.
In order to apply for this role please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]